Friday 14 December 2012

EVALUATION OF EXTERIOR LOCATION BRIEF


My theme for the brief was ‘Architecture’, more specifically old, derelict buildings. Even from a young age I’ve had a fascination with old architecture so given my interest I thought it would be the perfect subject for my landscape brief. When researching, I specifically looked at the work of Gabrielle Basilico.  Most of his work consisted of architecture but my favourites were the ones where the subject was old and abandoned giving the photographs an atmosphere unlike the ones where the subject was more sleek and modern. This is what gave me the inspiration to do a slightly older building…



However, unlike Gabrielle Basilico I decided to do both wide pictures and close ups of certain aspects. This would give me an opportunity to experiment with aperture (and idea I got from researching Rinko Kawauchi’s work).

I then used some of the test shoots for the assignments to research different types of buildings I could photograph. It also gave me a chance to try natural light at different times of day…





I then decided on the building I wanted to photograph. My first choice was the Barnes Hospital in Stockport but was not allowed in for health and safety reasons L. My second choice however I was allowed to go and take photographs. I went to the Bleechworks in Cheadle, an abandoned cotton mill…



Bleechworks 1

F:8.0 SS:250 ISO:160



I really like this photograph because it is very colourful. I feel the sky works well with the colours of the structures in the foreground.







Bleechworks 2
F: 3.5 SS: 125 ISO:160


I used this photograph because it works really well with the fence in the foreground. I chose to focus on the mill instead of the fence because I felt it was the subject of the brief thus it is the subject of the photograph.











Bleechworks 3

F:8.0 SS:250 ISO:160


I chose to take the photograph at this angle because I wanted to focus on the two levels. I also felt that the trees give an exciting background.










Bleechworks 4
F:4.5 SS:125 ISO:160



I chose to use a shallow depth of field so that the focus of the photograph was the green railing…thing.










 Bleechworks 5

F:3.5 SS:80 ISO:160


I like this photograph because in the Bleechworks there weren’t many plants and this one stuck out to me. I wanted to contrast it to the broken glass and concrete.
 

Bleechworks 6

F:22.0 SS:1.3 ISO:160


I decided to use this photograph because it was a view of the outside from the inside. The windows where the only source of light so it only illuminates certain parts of the room at a time.





Bleechworks 7

F:8.0 SS:8 ISO:160


I decided to do a similar photograph to Bleechworks 5 but I wanted to do it in B&W to emphasise the buildings lack of life. 





Bleechworks 8
F:83.5 SS:160 ISO:160



I find this photograph interesting because of the angle at which the photograph is taken. I feel it makes the photograph more stimulating than if it was straight on. I decided to take it in black and white (B&W) because that would make the result more dramatic.











Bleechworks 9

F:8.0 SS:200 ISO:160


Again, I wanted to give an overall impression on how barren this area is and how uninhibited it is. I think this photograph in particular has a bit of a spooky feel to it!







Bleechworks 10

F:3.5 SS:1300 ISO:160


This photograph is my absolute favourite because the texture is just gorgeous. I waited until the sun’s light was directly on it and I decided to use a shallow depth of field because it felt it would be more dramatic that way. 




No comments:

Post a Comment