Friday 16 November 2012

Under or Over???

In the previous post, I discussed how to achieve a 'technically' correct exposure. However in some cases the wrong exposure is the 'right' one...I'll explain! The exposure helps give the picture an atmosphere. Portraitures or landscapes combined with a slight overexposure gives a very bubbly and exciting picture. However to achieve a very poignant and gloomy atmosphere such as that in Bill Brandt's photograph, underexposure is the key. Here is some examples of what works and what doesn't when I went out to do a shoot using the bracketing feature of my camera...

SET 1
My favourite from this set is the -2 exposure because the fact that the bench is so worn down, combined with the under exposure gives a very sinister mood!

Exposure: -2
Exposure: -1

Exposure: 0
Exposure: +1



Exposure: +2

SET 2
My favourite from this set is the +1 exposure because with the underexposure you lose the colours of the leaves however with the +1 exposure the atmosphere is very different much more bright and uplifting!
Exposure: -2
Exposure: -1
Exposure: 0
Exposure: +1
Exposure: +2

No comments:

Post a Comment